Sunday, October 12, 2008

Roofing, Waterfalls, and Tourists, Oh My!

So my tiny village had its first taste of eco-tourism yesterday. It went really, but really well. Everyone, the visitors and community members alike were all so happy. I divided my time between construction work on my house and sharing the role of tour guide and translator (I must beef up these English classes ASAP). It was a day that made me really proud of the farmers that I work with. The festivities included lots of great food, a trip a waterfall, a fair bit of walking (and falling), purchasing of artisan work, some folklore and dancing, guitar strumming and free styling, horse back riding, and, of course, pictures.

Work continues on my future home. It is looking amazing, and thanks to some patient teachers Friday I learned to ‘knit’ thatch with bailing twine for my roof. Already the floor is down (that was finished yesterday), and the roof is three-fourths finished. Lunar farming is popular here and because the moon changes on Tuesday, we decided to squeeze one more work day in tomorrow to cut and sew the thatch to finish off the roof. By the end of the month I should be moved in to my first house! Ahh, excitement!

Pictures to come. Internet here is super slow.

No comments: