Saturday, October 4, 2008

Poetic Update

From Wednesday: The following poem I wrote on the bus on the way to today’s regional meeting. One of our assignments for the meeting was to express “how is it going’ through song, interpretive dance, charades, or poetry. For the sake of time, in lieu of a normal blog entry, I am leaving my update in poetry. To my non Spanish-speaking audience, I apologize for the Spanglish.

Diarrhea, gas, and vomit I no longer spew,
It appears that my adventure with amoebas is through.
No more chicha was PC doc Lourdes’s command,
But when working in the loma I just don’t give a damn.
I take the communal chicha cup with its floating ants
While hoping that later I won’t poo my pants.
A day sin chupar naranja is incomplete.
Boiled green banana is algo I now enjoy to eat.
As for my house, it is looking good.
I spent Saturday jalando wood.
We planned to continue the following day,
But at dawn I was almost too sore to levantarme.
In a few weeks I will have a new home.
I’ll go from being 1 of 11, to be living alone.
Last week Aimeé came for my 4 month visit.
Llegaron muchos for my community diagnostic.
At my side sat the Naso king with his fancy bastón.
He played with some seeds while Aimeé babbled on.
With months of thinking my permanencia in site had not a prayer,
It just may be that the Naso king no me vaya a correr.
My community diagnostic meeting

Anita, helping carry boards for my house. She makes it look easy, but it was pretty tough.

Shoo-ing the goat by throwing orange peels at him

the start of a window frame


the nearly-finished frame that will be my house

Ernesto, the ornery man who is donating land, wood, thatch, and lots of time and labor for my house. I consider him my grandpa here.

Jorge, my Naso teacher and future neighbor, helping with construction


my host mom peeling rice

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Send me a baby goat! I think he would make a great studio pet, and I could throw charcoal bits at him to prevent nibbles on my drawing papers. yes, a goat would be good :)

Anonymous said...

It's a lot easier to rhyme when you have two language options...