Saturday, October 4, 2008

Orange Jam

My first few days back form the U.S. were hard emotionally (I had left my sad and suffering family behind), professionally (on my second day back I was to deliver a presentation to my boss, my community, and the Naso king), and physically (I had to readjust to the mud, humidity, and heat). So in this time I mentally compiled some of the reasons why I really enjoy my Panamanian life. Here are a few:

1. I wash my clothes in a crazy beautiful river. And when my clothes is super dirty, I beat them against a rock just ‘to get the filthiness out.’

2. I live in the last traditional monarchy in the Americas. That’s cool. The following is recent exchange with king Valentín Santana, who lives in my community:
I walked quickly down the muddy path from the chiva stop because it looked like rain. When I stopped to talk to an acquaintance in the path, king Valentín caught up. He smiled, ‘Caminas rápido’ (‘You walk fast’). I laughed, ‘Ja, pero me caigo rápido también’ (‘Ha, but I also fall fast’). And we continued on in silence. Five minutes later the king slipped, and recovering he giggled, ‘También me caigo rápido’ (‘ I fall fast, too’).

3. I am a local celebrity. Upon my return, people I had never even seen before were asking me about my family and my grandma in particular.

4. As my sister recently pointed out, I will soon be a home owner. My house is coming along well. Yesterday we cut, bundled, and carried the leaves for my roof to the construction site. I think/I hope we will finish this month.

5. I no longer make small children cry. The kids in my host family now run out of the house to meet me. The scariness of a ‘tall’ white person is finally wearing off.

6. I get to introduce some of the kindest folks I’ve ever known to new pleasant things (e.g., grape jam), and they not only share my excitement, they ask me if we can make jam from their oranges.

7. I have mastered the extreme sport of chasing oranges downhill full speed on muddy terrain. AND I have been promoted to orange picker, which means I get to wield the really long bamboo pole with the wooden hook tied to the end.

8. Cacao. Enough said.

9. I am humbled here. Last night my host mom brought home soda and sliced bread for her kids. Their excitement was unparalleled.

The list goes on, but my will to continue typing does not.

the PC Bocas del Toro regional meeting in Chiriquí


bundles of leaves that will be my roof. we will be sewing them Friday


some of the seeds that my Naso teacher uses to make jewelry

No comments: