Thursday, August 6, 2009

Feliciano Feliz

I recently have found myself in an unlikely game of courtship. My would-be suitor is Feliciano Feliz. His happy name owes to the fact that he has five girlfriends. Despite his polygymous behavior, Feliciano is pretty progressive. He is not racist. He has brown girlfriends, white girlfriends, and even spotted ones. And he is pretty open minded about what defines female attractiveness. He even has a bearded girlfriend. I have also discoved that Mr. Feliz is not much of a specie-ist either. He and his five girlfriends are goats. In recent visits, I have found myself the recipient of what I can only deduce as overt attempts to seduce me into joining his concubine.

Because the soil in my patio lacks fertility, I often visit Feliciano and his women folk to collect the droppings that fall from their evelated throne to use as fertilizer in my garden beds. I trudge up the hill to their palace in my boots with shovel and buckets in hand. Upon my arrival SeƱor Feliz comes down to greet me. He stalks, circles, and sniffs my wares. The stalking continues. When he is satisfied that his presence is known to me, he goes about spreading his royal mustiness. Feliciano rears to show his magnificent height. Then he settles his front hooves back on the earth and closes in. I pause from my manure shoveling and politely confront him with my shovel. He backs off a bit, and I take the opportunity to inhale. Assuming that I am just playing hard to get, Feliciano takes an alluring drink of his own urine. I finish filling my buckets and return down the hill with Feliciano trailing. I close the gate on Feliciano and continue down to my house. He calls after me with his best come hither grunts, apparently unwilling to admit defeat. He knows I will back.

Last weekend I stole time away from my farmers and their gardens, to go with some friends from Changuinola to go visit one of their friends in Costa Rica. I enjoyed the luxuries of cool mountain air, warm water, and private transportation. I traded in my one-utinsil-serves-all soup spoon philosophy for place settings which included two pieces of dessert silverware and enough food that required their useage. It was exciting.


coffee farm sidewalk


Costa Rican travel buddies and host Andrey

considering taking up residence under the very large leaves

at an ellusive valcano crater on a very foggy morning

a Costa Rican breakast with Mario and Denisse

my first bell pepper harvest... a sorry case for soil improvement

the garden of my ag promoter Jose with his family amidst the cucumbers


Cuko starring in a battle with a lizard

3 comments:

Mike @ TrialbyFood said...

Your pepper harvest is about as good as my zucchini harvest was :(. In stead of shoveling unprocessed manure on my garden (please tell me the girl I met in a class about manure management isn't doing that...) I decided to just compost the zucchini plants with some other kitchen scraps and hope for the best next year. At least my tomatoes and hot peppers are coming in, I'll have a ton of salsa soon!

Unknown said...

Sounds like your goat friend knows a keeper when he sees one! :)

Looks like Cuko is a fierce hunter! Were you rooting on the lizard? Was I hearing chants of "bite him, bite him," encouragement directed at the scaly warrior?!?

Unknown said...

just so you know, sassy won a battle of her own. my new roommate's stuffed octipus was kidnapped in the night. sassy flings it across the room and plays fetch with herself, then grabs it in her mouth and carries it around the apt.