Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Flood - a picture narrative

the rain

swollen river - day 4 of rain

same spot - day 6 of flooding

The path for vehicles (and pedestrians in their absence) leading to my site. Water was knee deep when I got out Sunday. It rose to chest level that evening.

unloading a Columbian plane lent to Panama to help fly in aid, at Changuinola airport

highway into the province

open to general traffic (?!)

a landslide in my community. take a close look at the house.

where I used to cross the river

a landslide near my host family´s house

but still almost business as normal for the host fam ... posing with piglets

3 comments:

Mike @ TrialbyFood said...

Woah, even before I read the caption I wondered if that was your house or if thats just how they all look. Guess my "how's you're house" question that I never asked is answered. But look at it this way, now you can say you have waterfront property.. do you know what the going rates are for that stuff back here in the US? :)

And another bit of good fortune, now you have a nice tree to walk across instead of fording the river.

Hope things can get cleaned up quickly. Its nice to see Columbia sending aid. Uribe has his failings but its better than Chavez trying to court Panama with aide cloaked not so subtly behind his agenda.

Take care!

Janell (Henry) Weiss said...

Mike, that is not actually my house in the pic. My house is safe up on its hill (one that actually didn´t fall down). I am moved in now, and find myself on a "I have my own space!" high. Thanks for reading and commenting. Cuidate!

Celeste said...

Question - where do you get your electricity? You said you have an ipod, you obviously have a digital camera - both these things need charging. And you have access to the internet. Where do you go?

Celeste