Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Aftermath

The misery of dengue has loosened its grip; its associated depression, debilitating pain, and feverish nightmares have passed, and it was promptly followed by more amoebas, which I am still working to rid myself of. My persistent health problems are a bit uncanny and have severely cut into my productivity as a volunteer. When I am not working on getting healthy, I am teaching English (we are conjugating verbs and making sentences already!), participating in school activities and meetings with my farmers, and working on my house (or ‘hut’ as some of you prefer).

House construction was put on hold while I was recovering from dengue, but we are back on track. The only work left on the house is to finish a window, install plumbing, and make the furniture (a bed frame, shelves, tables, and chairs). We have cut wood for the bathroom (my washing hut) and the latrine. The next official work later this week. In the meantime I am hauling in a stove, pots, dishes, a sleeping pad, plumbing needs, etc. and starting seeds for my garden to prepare for my move. Yea!

The world’s giddy excitement for the U.S.’s president elect spilled its way into my community. The day after elections several people asked me if I had heard the news and whether I had woken up dancing. While I had been bummed about my no-show absentee ballot and may have not busted a move in the early am, I coundn’t conceal my excitement and did whistle for the duration of the hike into my site.


my nearly finished abode, with its huge porch and neighbor




finishing the roof

a folkloric dance at the school

from the bridge entering my site

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful porch! Although you weren't dancing, plenty of people were dancing in Philly Tuesday night (and honking, shouting, cheering, smiling...)

Unknown said...

oh god sassy just did a bad thing in the litterbox. i can't remember what i was going to type. can't breathe... oh, yeah, excited to see your house, or hut, is about complete! happy moving in and planting.